Put out a plate of these minis for a fun after-school snack.
Italian Deli Sandwich Bites
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, very thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- ½ cup pitted green olives
- 4-5 peperoncini peppers, stemmed
- ½ beefsteak tomato, seeded and diced
- 4 small focaccia squares or rolls, halved
- ½ lb thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 4 oz thinly sliced capocollo*
- 4 oz thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 4 oz thinly sliced mortadella or bologna
- 4 oz thinly sliced speck or prosciutto
- Dried oregano
Whisk oil and vinegar in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Toss lettuce with 2 Tbsp vinaigrette in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Reserve remaining vinaigrette.
Pulse olives and peperoncini in a food processor until finely chopped. Scrape into a small bowl; stir in tomato.
Brush cut sides of focaccia with remaining vinaigrette. Assemble sandwiches: Divide lettuce, olive mixture, provolone, and cold cuts among half the focaccia; sprinkle with oregano and set tops into place, vinaigrette side down. Cut each into 4 small squares.
Capocollo is a dry-cured Italian salami made from pork neck. If you can’t find it, just substitute your favorite cold cut, or double up on the prosciutto.
Makes 16. Per sandwich bite: 230 calories, 9g carbs, 11g protein, 17g fat, 35mg cholesterol, 860mg sodium, 1g fiber