subway-operator-well-paid-job-ftr
(iStock)

It’s no secret that people with college degrees tend to earn more than those with only a high school diploma. According to the latest U.S. census, people with only a high school diploma earned $34,960 on average, whereas those with a bachelor’s degree earned an average salary of $55,590.

Still, it’s possible to earn a very good living with only a high school education—you just have to know where to look.

The financial news website 24/7 Wall St. rounded up the top 7 best-paying jobs for people with only a high school diploma. Some of these may surprise you!

Subway and streetcar operators
Median annual income: $62,730

Subway and streetcar operators are paid well for a few reasons, according to 24/7 Wall St. First, they’re responsible for ensuring the safety of large groups of people every day, and second, the job requires a fair bit of flexibility, as subways usually operate at night, weekends, and on major holidays. 

Fashion designers
Median annual income: $62,860

Fashion design is a hard market to break, but if you’re talented and lucky enough, the rewards can be great: the top 10 percent of designers earned over $126,000 last year. However, the bottom 10 percent earned less than around $34,000.

Power distributors and dispatchers
Median annual income: $71,690

Power distributors and dispatchers monitor the flow of electricity from generators through distribution lines, and are responsible for any related maintenance. The job demands a high attention to detail and also requires extensive training and licensing.

Detectives and criminal investigators
Median annual income: $74,300

Many detectives and criminal investigators start off as police officers, says 24/7 Wall St., and must undergo extensive on-the-job training. They should also possess more intangible qualities such as good communication skills, leadership, and sound judgment in a crisis.

Nuclear power reactor operators
Median annual income: $74,990

Like power distributors, nuclear reactor operators must undergo extensive on-site training. A college degree is not required for the job, but people in this profession usually have an aptitude for math and science.

Elevator installers and repairers
Median annual income: $76,650

A college degree may not be required for this rigorous job, but elevator installers and repairers undergo thousands of hours of paid on-the-job training. According to 24/7 Wall St., a four-year apprenticeship is common, during which candidates learn about electrical theory, math, and applied physics.

Airline pilots, copilots and flight engineers
Median annual income: $114,200

Most pilots these days have a Bachelor’s degree, according to 24/7 Wall St., but it’s also possible to gain qualification through the military or by attending flight school. Professional pilots are required to hold a commercial pilot’s license.

There's a discussion among 6 members.
Press "Read Comments" to view.
Leave A Comment

Uh-oh! Empty comment.It looks as though you’ve already said that.You seem to be logged out. Refresh your page, login and try again.Whoops! Sorry, comments are currently closed. You are posting comments too quickly. Slow down.