We couldn’t celebrate Halloween without mention of Casper because—he’s a ghost. Albeit, not even slightly spooky. But we’re guessing only diehard fans of the little animated spirit are aware that he also has a last name. So allow us to introduce you to Casper—wait for it—McFadden. (Who knew he was Irish?)
The name Casper, sometimes alternately spelled with an “a,” has become increasingly mainstream and—good news, girls—gender-free. So here’s some fun Casper trivia that will come in handy at your Halloween party:
- Supermodel Claudia Schiffer chose the name Caspar for her first-born son.
- Actor Jason Lee (Almost Famous, My Name is Earl) named his daughter Casper.
- Casper Wells is a Major League Baseball outfielder.
- Jennifer Lopez’ current heartthrob is choreographer/actor Beau “Casper” Smart.
- Caspar W. Weinberger served as Secretary of Defense under President Ronald Reagan.
- Actor Casper Van Diem (Beverly Hills, 90210, Starship Troopers) is the sixth Casper in his family—his son is the seventh.
But our list wouldn’t be complete without mention of Lt. Caspar Collins and the historic military post in Wyoming once called Platte Bridge Station, but later renamed Fort Caspar in his honor. In 1865 the U.S. Army officer was killed by Sioux and Cheyenne warriors when he was sent to escort a small military wagon train across a bridge. Casper, Wyoming is named after him. It should have been named “Caspar” of course, but someone at City Hall made a mistake when registering the name—and didn’t bother correcting it.
Have a happy and mostly ghostly Halloween!
Claudia Gryvatz Copquin is a New York-based journalist, author, and essayist. Follow her on Twitter.