Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- 5 lb russet or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces, plus more for dish and topping
- 1 (8-oz) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp seasoned salt, plus more to taste
- ½ tsp kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp pepper, plus more to taste
Put potatoes in a large pot. Cover with water and boil over high heat 20 to 25 minutes, until fork-tender. Drain, then put back in pot. Over low heat, mash potatoes 2 to 3 minutes, until mostly smooth, allowing steam and excess moisture to escape.
Add butter, cream cheese, half-and-half, heavy cream, seasoned salt, salt, and pepper. Use masher to combine all ingredients until totally smooth. Spread potatoes in a buttered casserole dish, smoothing out surface. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Dot top of potatoes with more butter. Bake until piping hot and golden brown on top, 25 to 30 minutes.
Serves 12-16. Per serving: 280 calories, 21g carbs, 4g protein, 20g fat, 60mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 1g fiber
About the Author
Find this recipe and more festive ideas in The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays ($30; Harper Collins).