2013 is almost over, and that means it’s time to throw a party to welcome in the New Year! A New Year’s Eve bash isn’t complete without an array of tantalizing appetizer recipes, so we asked a few of our favorite foodies what they serve on New Year’s Eve. Small bites packed with big flavors are the focus, and they sent us their best. Get the year off to a delicious start with these festive appetizers that will keep the party going past midnight.
1. Fried Pickled Jalapenos - Spice up the night with these fiery bites. Wow!
2. Cheesy Refried Beans - A big basket of freshly fried tortilla chips and a warm bowl of cheesy beans will keep your guests satisfied all night. Yum!
3. Spicy Grilled Hummus Tostadas - Grilled tortillas topped with spicy hummus and loads of fresh veggies—crunchy good.
4. Prunes Wrapped with Bacon - Plump prunes wrapped in bacon and baked until crispy. Oh yeah… make sure you double the recipe, because these nibbles are sure to be a hit. Delish!
5. Plantain and Black Bean Bites with Cotija and Crema Drizzle - Impress your guests with these tasty bites. Sweet plantain dough bites are stuffed with black beans, fried until lightly golden, and drizzled with crema.
6. Tequeños with Cheese – A fantastic combination: cheese-filled wonton fingers, with guacamole. Who wouldn’t like this?
7. Shrimp-Stuffed Avocado - Simple, delicious, and refreshing: serve your party guests these avocados filled with a salad of shrimp, red onion, radish, bell pepper, celery, and cilantro aioli.
8. Mexican Meatballs with Three Spicy Dipping Sauces - Mexican-inspired ingredients give these meatballs a subtle, but distinctive flavor. Serve them with a variety of simple and spicy dipping sauces, old-world northern Mexican salsa casera, south of the border home-style apricot jalapeño jam, and Latin-fusion chipotle crema.
9. Canapé de charqui - A favorite in Chile, this simple canapé topped with beef jerky is making a comeback.
10. Avocado Cocktails - Serve this fresh avocado cocktail in a chilled glass for a refreshing start to the evening.
LATISM 2012 Best Latina Food Blogger Vianney Rodriguez is founder and developer for Sweet Life Bake. Sweet Life Bake has appeared as one of NBC Latina’s Food Blogs We Love, and was featured in Latina Magazine as one of their Best Food Blogs.