Crock pot cooking is simple, healthy, and a wonderful timer-saver, with many recipes requiring minimal prep. In the midst of the winter months, I love pulling out my trusty old crock pot to help me create delicious family meals. Bring warmth to your table this week with a plate brimming of that slow-cooked flavor infused with a touch of Latin.
These 8 quick and easy crock pot recipes are sure to satisfy everyone in the family.
1. Slow Cooked Tomatillo Beef – (pictured above) This tasty dish comes together in no time with the help of leftover homemade salsa or your favorite store-bought brand. The beef is simmered until fork-tender and served over brown rice with a dollop of sour cream.
2. Crockpot Ropa Vieja – A popular Cuban dish brimming with love. Serve this over rice with a piece of crusty bread to soak up all those wonderful juices.
3. Frijoles de Olla – A staple in the Mexican household, frijoles (beans) de olla are one the easiest recipes to make and one of the most requested. Serve these brothy beans as a side, or use them to make enfrijoladas, tostadas, or pozole.
4. Slow Cooked Achiote Pork – In Rick Bayless’s recipe, pork is flavored with achiote seasoning and fresh lime juice, then wrapped in banana leaves. Holy YUM!
5. Jalisco Style Birria – This dish from Guadalajara, cooked in a pit oven and traditionally enjoyed at weddings, baptism parties, and large family affairs, can now be enjoyed at home with the help of your trusty crock pot.
6. Beef Brisket – Slowly simmered in liquid smoke, bay leaves, and beer, a brisket is the perfect party meal. It makes enough to feed a large crowd and can be made into tacos, burritos, flautas, or enchiladas. Serve alongside beans and rice or simply top with fresh avocado slices and salsa.
7. Chicken Chile Verde – Moist, flaky, and tender chicken, combined with plump potatoes, is simmered with a gorgeous green chile verde sauce made with tomatillos, guero chiles, serrano chiles, and jalapeño chiles. Served with rice or in a taco, this chicken chile verde is pure comfort.
8. Carne con Salsa de Tamarindo (Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Tamarind Sauce) – This earthy dish, flavored with tamarind, is sweet and sour and produces an amazing rich sauce. Serve this succulent pot roast with white rice, sweet plantains, carrots, and avocado salad on the side.
LATISM 2012 Best Latina Food Blogger Vianney Rodriguez is founder and developer for Sweet Life Bake. Sweet Life Bake has appeared as one of NBC Latina’s Food Blogs We Love, and was featured in Latina Magazine as one of their Best Food Blogs.