Here’s a super easy chili to make for your family. Besides the fact that adults adore it, your kids will have a ball adorning their chili bowls with tons of accompaniments. My son usually covers his with so much shredded cheese you can’t tell there’s chili under the surface, but he devours it all nevertheless! Read more… This is a 5-in-1 meal. Use leftovers from this dish to make Chili Mac and Cheese, Chili Spaghetti, Chili Baked Fries, and Chili Baked Potatoes!
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (15-oz) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28-oz) can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 2 (15-oz) cans tomato juice
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp salt
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- Hot sauce (if you want to take it up a notch)
In a sauté pan over medium heat place 1 Tbsp of oil and sauté onions for 3 minutes. Add minced garlic and sauté another minute until the onions start to caramelize, then remove and place in a slow cooker.
In the same sauté pan, add another Tbsp of oil and sauté the ground beef for 5 minutes, breaking down the beef with a wooden spoon until it's cooked through and most of its juice has evaporated.
Add the cooked beef and the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Cover and cook the chili on low for 8 hours.
Top with desired accompaniments and serve.
About the Author
For more fantastic kid-friendly recipes like this one, visit Catherine’s blog, Weelicious.com.