This recipe is a great way to use up leftover roast ham. It calls for cottage cheese for extra protein and less fat—but you’ll never know it’s there.
Ham and Spinach Savory Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup diced ham
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Nonstick cooking spray
Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Combine flour, Parmesan, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk milk, eggs, cottage cheese, and butter in another bowl. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined, then fold in ham, scallions, and spinach.
Mist a standard 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray, then divide batter among cups. Sprinkle some more Parmesan on top of each muffin. Bake until puffed and browned in spots, about 25 minutes. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.