The most important element here is not overcooking the barley. Chop a little extra parsley to stir in just before serving.
Home-Style Mushroom Barley Soup
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- ½ cup uncooked pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 2 carrots, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves, or ½ tsp dried
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 oz white mushrooms, trimmed, wiped clean and quartered
- 2 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
Combine the broth, barley, carrots and sage in a pot. Simmer 40 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the butter and the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add chopped onion; cook 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 5 minutes more.
Stir the mushroom mixture into the broth; season with salt and pepper. Simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve.
Serves 4. Per serving: 229 calories, 31g carbohydrates, 7g protein, 7g fat, 8mg cholesterol.