Jennifer Segal is the chef and photographer behind Once Upon a Chef, a family-friendly recipe blog featuring tested and perfected recipes with step-by-step photos.
1. Rum Cake (pictured above) — This rich pound cake soaked with a butter and rum glaze is a homemade version of the famous Bacardi Rum Cake. Dad won’t be able to resist sneaking a slice every time he walks through the kitchen.
2. Chocolate Cream Pie — If Dad is a chocolate lover, he’ll love this pie with a chocolate cookie crust, silky chocolate pudding center and pillowy whipped cream topping.
3. Semi-Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches — These gourmet ice cream sandwiches are made with Nabisco Chocolate Wafers and premium store-bought ice cream. Kids love them. Adults love them. They are hard to beat!
4. Chocolate Chip Blondies — Dad will love these gooey blondies, and you’ll love how easy they are to make: fewer ingredients than cookies, plus you don’t have to roll the dough into balls; easier than brownies because there’s no chocolate to melt.
5. Coconut Dream Pie — Made with a coconut-scented cookie crust, a creamy coconut custard filling, whipped cream and heaps of toasted coconut, this pie is the stuff of dreams.
6. Chocolate Pudding Sundaes – Homemade chocolate pudding is silky-smooth and intensely chocolate — a world apart from instant or store bought. Naturally, kids love it, but don’t think of it as just for kids — dad will love it too.
7. Banana Pudding Parfaits – Banana pudding is an old-fashioned Southern dessert traditionally made with layers of Nilla wafers, vanilla pudding, sliced bananas and sweetened whipped cream. I’ve tried every variation and many different recipes, and this version beats them all.
8. Chocolate Cupcakes with Creamy Chocolate Frosting – These old-fashioned chocolate cupcakes are sweet enough for children but also intensely chocolate enough for Dad.
9. Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie — You can never go wrong combining chocolate and peanut butter: with a chocolate wafer crust, creamy peanut butter filling and rich chocolate ganache topping, this pie is always a crowd-pleaser.
10. Double Chocolate Pavlova with Mascarpone Whipped Cream – A pavlova is a cake-shaped meringue with a soft and marshmallowy center and crisp outer shell, usually topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit. In this chocolate version, cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate are folded into the meringue — which makes it deliciously fudgy — and mascarpone cheese (Italian cream cheese) is added to the whipped topping.