You can make the veggie filling a day ahead and refrigerate. Simply reheat 1 hours before filling the tacos.
Tasty Veggie Tacos!
- 1 small eggplant, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 2 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) tomatoes
- ¾ lb plum tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup canned dark-red kidney beans, drained
- ½ cup canned chickpeas, drained
FOR THE TACOS:
- 8 hard corn taco shells
- 2 cup finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, diced
- 8 oz sour cream
- 8 oz grated Cheddar cheese
Place the eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with
the salt. Let stand for 1 hour. Pat dry with paper towels. Meanwhile,
heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add
the eggplant and sauté until almost tender, adding more oil if
necessary. Remove to a casserole.
remaining oil in the same skillet over low heat; wilt the onion, garlic
and red pepper for 10 minutes, then add to the casserole. Place
casserole over low heat and add the ingredients up through the parsley.
Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 30 minutes.
Stir in the kidney beans and chickpeas; cook for 15 minutes. The skin of the eggplant should be tender. Adjust seasonings.
the tacos: Place ¼ cup of the cooked veggies in each taco shell. Top
with some shredded lettuce and 1 tablespoon each of the onion and
tomatoes. Dollop with sour cream and sprinkle with cheese. Serve
Makes 8 tacos. Per taco: 420 calories, 29g carbohydrate, 13g protein, 29g fat, 45mg cholesterol. Next up: Guacamole with Jalapeno and Red Pepper