All of these fruits have lots of water in them, so I hold off on the salt, which will only draw out more water and make the dressing soupy. Pepper and basil lend a good kick. Have a bowl of coarse salt nearby if desired.
Watermelon, Cucumber And Tomato Salad
- 2 cup seeded and diced (¾-inch) watermelon
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 8 pieces each
- 1 hothouse (seedless) cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup slivered fresh basil leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Prepare all of the ingredients ahead of time and reserve them separately.
Just before serving, drain the watermelon, tomatoes and cucumber in a colander and place them in a decorative serving bowl. Toss with the olive oil, basil and pepper. Serve immediately.
Serves 6. Per serving: 70 calories, 6g carbohydrates, 1g protein, 5g fat, no cholesterol.