James Herdlein’s sauce was a hit at family parties even before he entered—and won!—the Amateur Sauce-Off at the National Buffalo Wing Festival in Buffalo, N.Y. Make it a hit at your next gathering, too. Discover more great food festivals here.
First-Place Original Buffalo Chicken Wings
- 4 Tbsp organic salted butter
- 5 oz bottle organic hot sauce (such as Frank's RedHot)
- ½ tsp your favorite hot sauce
- 2½ Tbsp organic distilled vinegar
- ½ tsp organic cayenne pepper powder
- ½ tsp organic garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 10 chicken wings, baked
- Blue-cheese dressing
- Carrot and celery sticks, for garnish
Melt butter. Add hot sauces, vinegar, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk until well blended; salt to taste.
Add wings to sauce; coat well. Serve on a platter with blue-cheese dressing and carrot and celery sticks.