An extra dose of decadent chocolate gives this classic layered dessert new life.
Double Chocolate Pudding Parfaits
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar, divided
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, divided, plus additional for garnish
- 2 cup whole milk
- 4 oz fine-quality semisweet chocolate (no more than 54% cacao if marked), finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream
- ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
Whisk together cornstarch, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup cocoa, and a pinch of salt in a heavy medium saucepan, then gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, then boil, whisking, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in chopped chocolate and butter until melted. Transfer pudding to a metal bowl and quick-chill by setting in an ice bath and stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, beat cream with vanilla and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon cocoa until it just holds stiff peaks. Layer pudding and cream in 8-ounce glasses. Serve dusted with cocoa.
Parfaits can be made 1 hour ahead and chilled, covered.
Next: Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate IcingParfaits can be made 1 hour ahead and chilled, covered.