This gazpacho is the perfect way to enjoy your favorite summer fruit. Serve it with grilled chicken and a fresh salad. Drizzle with a little extra-virgin olive oil before serving.
- 1 (4-lb) piece watermelon, rind discarded and flesh cut into large chunks (7 cup)
- 1½ cup ice cubes
- ¾ cup whole blanched almonds
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 8 slice firm white sandwich bread, crusts discarded and bread torn into pieces
- 2 Tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Seed 1 cup watermelon chunks and cut into small dice.
Puree remaining watermelon in a blender (in batches if necessary.) Pour puree through a sieve into a bowl, pressing on solids, and discard seeds.
Return juice to blender and blend together with ice, almonds, and garlic (in batches if necessary) until smooth.
Add bread, vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste and blend, adding oil in a slow, steady stream, until smooth. Top with diced watermelon.
Serves 6. Per serving: 570 cal, 75g carbs, 15g protein, 29g fat, 0mg chol, 1110mg sodium, 7g fiber